Menage A Tarot
Tarot and Personal Boundaries
In this episode of Menage A Tarot, we talk about where we draw the line in doing readings, what is in and out of bounds in our reading practice, issues with other readers and more. One topic that came up is local laws and the “for entertainment only” disclaimer we so often see on Tarot and psychic sites.
On one hand, laws against “fortune telling” are as narrow minded, fear-driven, superstitious nonsense as the fraudulent activity they aim to end. Crazy as it may seem, I actually support the legal prohibition against that kind “fortune telling” because it really is impossible to predict the future, whether it is for a fee or not. People who claim to make “100% accurate predictions” or claim to fix your love life really are, in my opinion, out to bilk money out of vulnerable people. They also ruin the public perception of intuitive work for those of us who want to help and read ethically.
I approach Tarot with much of the same ethical attitude that is taught in Reiki, mainstream medicine, and any other health care – because I believe it is a healing modality just as valid and effective as any other form of spiritual guidance, stress reduction or mind-body healing. I don’t have the science to prove it other than individual anecdotes – but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. The Higgs Boson has existed – valid, real, true – since the beginning of the universe, but we haven’t had the hard scientific proof until a few years ago. Just because the hard science data hasn’t yet been compiled doesn’t mean the truth of thing doesn’t yet exist. The validity of Tarot and intuitive work…their role as a valid choice in a healthy mind-body-spirituality balance…isn’t erased just because no one has taken the time or spent the resources to compile a study.
That being said, this seems like this is the perfect time to let you know just exactly how I approach Tarot readings. This is what I think an ethical Tarot practice should be like…but of course opinions vary.
- Should be clear, kind and compassionate – never frightening or intimidating.
- Can help you learn, grow spiritually, understand your situation, solve problems more creatively and make more productive decisions.
- Can not predict the future, fix your situation, or read what other people feel,think or will do.
- Respect each individual’s spirituality, and does not require certain beliefs for the reading to “work”
- give helpful suggestions, but never prescribes specific actions – such as regularly scheduled readings or special services the reader offers for additional cost
- Respects privacy, always
- Are not the place for medical or pregnancy questions. Those questions are for health professionals.
- Should have prices and business policies clearly stated in advance. Mine are HERE
Please enjoy the new episode! If you have any questions about ethics and tarot readings please let me know HERE or at email@example.com
To catch up with past Menage A Tarot episodes, please visit www.menageatarot.com, iTunes, Stitcher, or TuneIn